The Best Internal Comms Conferences Happening in 2020
Kick-off this decade by investing in your continuous learning and forging great connections.
Companies of all shapes and sizes are realizing that engaging their employees goes beyond the occasional happy hour.
More and more organizations are figuring out that it’s time that they started investing in their employee communications and that starts with investing in you – their communicators.
Here at Cerkl, we’re passionate about showing the value of our communicators’ hard work. To help others continuously learn and stay up to date with the best tools and tactics, we’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite educational opportunities for corporate comms professionals in the US.
Table of Contents
- 7th Annual Strategic Internal Communications Conference
- 9th Annual Internal Communications and Situational Messaging Conference
- Strategic HR Communications Conference
- 2020 People Analytics & Workforces Planning Conference
- 4th Annual Digital Workplace Summit: Engagement Strategies for Employee Communications Conference
- PRSA Connect 2020
- 2020 North American Employee Engagement Conference
- IABC World Conference
- IABC Heritage Region Conference
Dates: January 28th-30th
Who’s hosting: ALI Conferences
Conference description: Using emerging internal communications tools and trends to increase employee engagement, foster collaboration, and create a productive workforce that delivers results.
- Beth Ward Francesconi, Senior Director, Internal Communications, Levi Strauss & Co.
- Scott Miller, Director of Strategic Communications, Columbia University Information Technology
- Jessica Brubaker, Director, Initiative Communications & Channel Strategy, McDonald’s USA
- Michelle Lyons, Director, Global Communications, MetLife
Why we think you should attend:
As communicators, you’re always asked to think strategically and show results, which can be difficult when you’re putting out a million fires.
This conference is focused on measuring and tracking your communications, proving your department’s ROI to the higher-ups, and has you walk away with practical tools and tactics. Check out some of the highlights from last year!
Dates: February 19th-20th
Who’s hosting: marcus evans
Conference description: This premier marcus evans event will bring together the foremost leaders in Internal Communications from leading Fortune 1000 companies to explore the latest tools and tactics leveraged in deploying the strongest internal communications program that amplifies employee engagement and cultivates a strong, unified workforce.
As technology and the various methods to deliver information evolve, Internal Communicators must cut through information overload to adapt and develop a strategic approach for communicating to a diverse and dispersed workforce in this digital era. With employee engagement at the heart of productivity and performance, demonstrating value and immersing engagement initiatives into overall business strategy is essential for success.
- Kristen Taylor, Global Head of Employee Communications, HP Inc.
- Chuck King, Sr. Director Communications, Honeywell Aerospace
- Cathryn Baker, Executive Communications Manager, Indeed
- John Shea, Director, Internal Communications, Amtrak
- Jessica Taylor, Senior Director, Corporate Communications, PetSmart
- Calvin Seaman, Managing Director of Communications, ATB Financial
Why we think you should attend: marcus evens specializes in hosting events across the country that focuses on giving professionals a valuable competitive advantage and make a positive contribution to their success.
Dates: February 25th- 27th
Who’s hosting: ALI
Conference description: Isn’t it time to freshen up your HR communications? Learn how leading organizations are getting their employees to not only read but engage with their messages. What you’re saying is too important to have employees ignore – find out how to create engaging, dynamic communications your employees won’t be able to pass up.
Network with HR professionals responsible for strategies to improve recruitment, diversity & inclusion, on-boarding, learning & development, employee engagement, and more.
- Crystal Andrews Banks, Director, Diversity & Inclusion, Ulta Beauty
- Kristi Fredericks, Marketing Director, Employment Branding, The Walt Disney Company
- Charlotte Jones, Recruitment Marketing Leader, Lockheed Martin
- Joseph Dawson, Strategic Communications, Freddie Mac
- Krista Bassett, Strategic Communications Manager, Deloitte
Why we think you should attend:
Sometimes IC lives in Marketing land, other times it reports to HR. Either way, you’re responsible for cultivating your organization’s culture through your communications. You can attend storytelling, design thinking, and recruitment workshops as well.
Plus, doesn’t Florida sound great in February?
Dates: March 23rd-24th
Who’s hosting: Human Capital Institute
Conference description: At HCI’s 2020 People Analytics & Workforce Planning Conference, you will learn how to integrate your people strategy with your business strategy from a hand-picked group of thought leaders, practitioners, and experts.
Get peer-to-peer networking, workshops, and hands-on practice to support your people analytics initiatives across the talent lifecycle. Learn how to develop, adapt, and execute workforce plans when your environment is constantly changing.
- Roxanne Bisby Davis, Director of Team Analytics and Research, Cisco
- Michael D. Blair, Lead Personnel Research Psychologist, US Office of Personnel Management
- David Denbigh, Senior Analyst for Global Learning & Development, Ernest & Young
- Geetanjali Gamel, Director, Modeling & Insights, Johnson & Johnson
Why we think you should attend: This conference may not be internal communications specific but learning to read your data and create actionable analytics is a great strategy for every communicator. Especially if your team reports to HR.
Dates: March 31st- April 2nd
Who’s hosting: ALI Conferences
Conference description: Creating a modern workplace that connects employees, drives engagement and improves productivity by using digital signage, intranets, video, mobile, and more.
Whether it’s gaining buy-in, deciding on the communication channels right for your organization, connecting a dispersed workforce, or refreshing the information you have – this conference has solutions for you! Dive in as you hear how some of the best in internal communications are harnessing the power of digital signage, video, mobile apps, intranets, and more to engage and inform employees.
- Laurie Madden, Sr. Advisor, Digital Projects, Corporate Communications, Phillips 66
- Dante Ragazzo, Senior Director, Digital Workplace, tapestry
- Serena Huang, Ph.D., Global Head of People Analytics, The Kraft Heinz Company
- Chip Midnight, Producer, Studio Manager, Nationwide
- Karen Blouin-Clay, Vice President, Corporate Communications, Lendmark Financial Services
Why we think you should attend: As previous attendees, we can speak to the actionable lessons and sessions that ALI has to offer. The conference is relatively small as well, which allows you to create stronger connections with communicators from other organizations.
Dates: May 13th – 15th
Who’s hosting: PRSA
Conference description: Connect 2020 is where you’ll discover the hottest trends, effective tactics and proven strategies in internal communications.
During this three-day program, you’ll hear inspiring ideas for keeping your employee audience informed, engaged and entertained. Discover techniques for supporting your organization’s internal communications objectives, along with the latest in communication technology. Throughout the conference, you’ll have opportunities to connect with peers and industry leaders, discussing ideas that can tackle any challenge internal communicators face.
Don’t miss this chance to heat up your internal communications with proven insights from some of the industry’s most successful internal communicators.
- Rachel Miller, Director, All Things IC
- Kelli Newman, UXC, Director of Internal Communications, Piedmont Healthcare
- Alan Oram, Creative Director, Alive with Ideas
Why we think you should attend: With multiple breakout sessions and keynote speakers, PRSA Connect is a great place to network and, well connect with other professionals and influencers in internal communications. We particularly love the breakout session titled, “Champagne Results on a Beer Budget: Employee Communications for Less.”
Dates: June 11th
Who’s hosting: Workforce
Conference description: We will be returning to New York alongside some of our 2019 winners ready to present updated award-winning case studies along with a host of experts, sessions & thought-provoking ideas. Learn from inspiring stories that highlight successes and failures along the way.
You will be inspired in unique ways personal to you. Past attendees have commented that the conference challenged them to think differently, gave them proof to convince a CEO to invest more, convinced them to stop a program that just wasn’t working, and just allowed them to bounce ideas off like-minded professionals.
- Aaron Hurst, Founder, Imperative
- Dan Turner, President, TCG
- Daniel Riley, Partner, Culture & Engagement Practice Leader, Kincentric
- Ken Oehler, Senior Partner, Global Culture & Engagement Practice Leader, Kincentric
- Jason Lauritsen, Keynote Speaker
Why we think you should attend: This is a great opportunity to hobnob with their judges for future award nominations. That’s not the only reason to go but it’s a nice perk. People who’ve attended this conference have walked away inspired to stop programs that weren’t working and convince higher-ups to invest more in their departments.
Dates: June 14th – 17th
Who’s hosting: IABC
Conference description: With the theme “Shift: #AreYouReady” and an eye toward the latest trends, solutions, and ideas, the 2020 IABC World Conference will explore the newest challenges and opportunities facing the communication profession. Renowned for its architectural marvels, as well as its rich and diverse culture, Chicago was selected as the ideal location choice for the next event.
The IABC World Conference is a long-standing, global professional development event designed for communication practitioners. The only major conference of its type, the event draws over 1,000 attendees from around the world. Speakers are selected through a peer-reviewed process, with evaluations conducted by top experts in the field. Selections are based on alignment to the IABC Global Standard, and the degree to which the sessions will inform, engage and deliver on the conference theme.
- Abigail Posner, Brand Strategist, Google
- Carmen Simon, Cognitive Neuroscientist, The Neuroscience of Engagement
- Anshuman Kumar, Global Brand & Corporate Communications, INTUIT
- DeAnna Bennett, Managing Director Organization Transformation, Deloitte Consulting LLP
Why we think you should attend: We love the IABC World Conference! Four fantastic days filled with different sessions, workshops, and keynotes? Yes, please! The IABC World Conference is focused on providing concrete solutions to its attendees from across the globe.
Dates: November 8th – 10th
Speakers include: TBD
Why we think you should attend: With several breakout sessions at the same time, this conference has many educational opportunities without compensating the intimacy of the event. You get to know your fellow attendees well and the dine arounds are a must for any communicator looking to get to know their peers!